Earlier this week, retired New York Giants running back Brandon Jacobs revealed that he’s eyeing an NFL comeback at defensive end.

The decision was inspired by the recent return of Tim Tebow, who was signed by the Jacksonville Jaguars as a tight end.

“Well, since Tebow came back after being off a good bit, I am announcing today that I, too, will come back. I will play defensive end for whatever team gives me a chance,” Jacobs tweeted. “I am really serious about coming back as a defensive end. I can still run, I am strong and there’s no way Tim Tebow is a better athlete than I am. I just need a shot, that’s it! If I can’t cut it I’ll take it like a man. Just give me one chance that’s all!”

Jacobs admits that the entire thing started out as a joke, but after receiving encouragement from his children, he decided to give it a legitimate shot.

“It started off as a joke and ended up serious. I am dead [expletive] serious,” Jacobs said in an Instagram story.

Jacobs’ decision to return caused a brief and torn reaction on social media. Many dismissed it as a publicity stunt or blamed it on Jacobs’ financial status (he stressed that’s not the case), while others were quick to throw their support behind the 38-year-old.

Jacobs saw additional support throughout the week, including from retired NFL punter and podcast extraordinaire, Pat McAfee.

“If Brandon Jacobs can get out there and tackle the quarterback — there ain’t a single coach on earth that would give a single [expletive] that he’s a running back or old,” McAfee said on The Pat McAfee Show. “Can he tackle the quarterback? Get his [expletive] out there.

“I do like the thought that if Brandon Jacobs thinks he can do it, I think he can do it too. That’s how I feel.”

Jacobs has been hard at work since the announcement and predicts that he’ll only need two months to get back into football shape.